Where I have ridden.....

Sunday, September 16, 2007

310 miles of hell followed by 20 miles of heaven

So we start out this morning from Dallas, it is probably around 8:00. Its cool, 70 degrees or so. Fog is rolling off the fields across the road, so I get cold fog. The first couple hours were not that bad, long straightaways with a few gentle curves thrown in for variety. After Texarkana, the road was quite likely the most boring road I ever saw in my life. It was one of those concrete jobs with the very well defined seams in between the sections. Almost an hour of that and I am about to go crazy. The droning of the motor, the rhythmic thump-thump-thump of the seams. Then it hits me, a grasshopper, right in the adam's apple. Talk about "the one with your name on it, that thing had my name, home address, phone number, and a sketch. Talk about leaving a mark, Kel saw my neck when we stopped and thought a bee had stung me. It was just a grasshopper, but it was not pleasant.

The thing that I love about long rides like these is there is so much time to think, and very little to think about. The problem that I always run into is that I never remember the incredible revelations that come on the road.

We got a preview of Ark Highway 7 today. It looks kild of like the willow city loop only with pine trees and a lake in the middle of it. If I can figure out how to do it, I will embed the route below If you hit the "View Larger map", you can actually see the route we took.

Have fun,

Dave


View Larger Map

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow I remeber the willow city run. Man that would be beautiful with run by a lake. Way kool. V