Friday, March 20, 2009

The restoration has begun......

I have finally started the restoration project on the R90. I got the new instrument cluster installed. Now it is just a matter of getting the new cables run. Today I got the new tins installed. I decided to go with the /7 tins. I like the shape of the tank better than the /6. The best thing about it is that it has a paint job already on it. It is called "Alaska Blue" It is very similar to the color of the blue Subaru WRX. The paint on the fenders is kind of scratched up, but the tank is in great shape. No dents in the tank is actually a miracle of sorts. The fairing is still white. I think I might keep it white, I kind of like it.

Here are the shots:







The checklist is getting smaller. I only have a few more things to do before I am done.

1. New side cases
2. New Mufflers
3. Make a decision on paint.


Now I just have to get it on the highway and ride the hell out of it.

TTFN

Dave

Saturday, March 7, 2009

It's been a while......

I know it's been a while, especially for the one of you that actually follows my aimless rambling. Kel and I managed to score a short weekend getaway with a couple friends of ours. Kel, Gary, Laura, and I did a short shakedown last weekend. Just a little run around. Pulled about 500 miles over the weekend. I had been having some top end trouble with the R90 so I took the Ural. It was a fairly uneventful ride. It was nice to give Laura a chance to pull mileage in line. We did mostly highway miles, so it was pretty much point and go. Now it is time to shake out the starter problems on the Ural. It feels like either the starter relay or the starter switch is going bad. I will probably just replace both of them and get on with my life. The best thing to do with the Russian parts is to replace them with BMW parts at the first sign of problems, then do standard troubleshooting if it still doesn't work. I know it sounds backwards, but it is Russian after all. I mean, it has a Toyota starter motor......

As far as the R90 goes, I was getting some nasty valve noise, and slight loss of power at the top end after warming up. I ended up doing a valve job, retourqued the head-bolts, replaced the plugs, and changed the oil. It was like magic.....really. Now it goes like stink again. YAY!!!! Now it is just a matter of planning the next road trip.

I got the parts ordered for the restore also. I am getting a new tank, fenders, seat, and fairing. All painted standard flat black. I am going with the /7 tins. Now it will look like it was at least marginally new. I am guessing it will be around may or June before it is finished, but the restore will be complete, and that is all that matters. Then I can start looking at the performance upgrades that I want to do. I am thinking about putting about 5-10 more HP into the old girl. No good reason, I just want to.

I still have not come to a decision on weather I want to do the "Border to Border" or the Dixie Overland this summer. I guess it will come down to the weather and anyone that feels like going with me. If I am going alone, I will likely flip a coin, if I am taking someone with me, it will depend on how much time they can get off.

Oh well, time to wash the grease off the old elbows and nose.

TTFN

Dave